Advertisement

Vunipola to steer clear of social media storms in England's World Cup bid

Vunipola to steer clear of social media storms in England's World Cup bid BILLY VUNIPOLA vowed to steer clear of any social media storms that could ruin England's World Cup in Japan.  The Saracens No8 needlessly launched into the controversial Israel Folau homophobic spat at the end of last season.  Vunipola, 26, liked the Aussie's now-famous offensive Instagram post and said "man was made for woman to procreate" in his own - as he defended their strict Christian views.  Vunipola's club and England disciplined him.  But he has stood by his comments and continues to show support for sacked Folau by liking his posts on social media.  World-class star Vunipola said: "I think we have talked about it at length, not just me, but the RFU and the people at Saracens.  "We came to a conclusion that this issue, that people say I brought on myself, is better off left alone.  "I have made my position clear and what I don’t want to do is become a distraction to the players around me.  "If I was a boxer and it was just me that I was affecting, I would sit here and answer your question. But it doesn’t just affect me.  "It is affects the coaching staff, the players, because you will be asking their opinions on it.  "It is firmly what I put out there and it is firmly on me, but at the same time I don’t want to put them under the cosh by saying this, this and this - because that is unfair to them.  "I don't want it to come back on my friends and team-mates that they have to sit here every interview and answers these questions.  "Social media is still a positive tool and there is no restriction on it, especially from the RFU or anyone else.  "I want it to be known that you guys know where I stand.  "I'm not going to expand on it or take a step back, but that is not me being stubborn, but me not wanting the players to be affected by it as it is not fair on them."  Vunipola's roller-coaster season ended on a high on the pitch as he did the double for the second time with Sarries as they won the Champions Cup and Premiership.  Then off it he got married to his fiancee back in his homeland of Tonga - who are also England's opponents in their opening Pool C group match on September 22 in Sapporo.  Looking back at his special day, big Billy the big romantic said: "I don't how to put this... I'm glad it's done.  "The wedding was awesome. It was good to get home and good to get married. For something that should be special it's pretty stressful.  "But I'm obviously very happy to be married to my wife!  "My family are very demanding in terms of all the traditional things. I've grown up my whole life in the UK, so it was tough to get my head around that.  "We invited 130 people and 280 turned up, that kind of gives you reason why a bit stressed.  "My mum’s village, they turned up to represent here village, my granddad’s village, my grandma’s and the village we live in.  "That’s four villages didn’t get an invite because they’re not on Facebook. When we had a party through the week they were interested in what was going on.  "In Tongan culture it

England rugby,Saracens,Rugby World Cup,Billy Vunipola,Israel Folau,Australia Rugby,Red Rose,Wallabies,Japan 2019,

Post a Comment

0 Comments